Tuesday 21 February 2012


War


I am very happy now that I went back and finished this piece. I put a lot of work into this image, and I am very happy with the out come. I think the image fits what I first envisioned, and has gone through a long process to look like guerrilla warfare.








I then found a picture of an AK47 on the Internet, and paint my own in the correct perspective to fit my image.


As you can see this image has come along way and changed dramatically. I decided to stand up the gorilla giving it a human’s posture, to try and strengthen its presence. I am extremely happy with this piece, and I do feel it is one of my strongest paintings that I have done.

Although it is a good finished painting. I do not feel it has met the brief as I intended it to. It seems to have lost the image I had for it. I think I will have to go back and paint the gorilla holding a gun, as he was in the originals.



At this stage I was rely struggling to get the gorilla looking right. I felt that one of the reasons I could not invasion a finished piece, was because I had not used any reference images. I looked up gorillas and could instantly see my mistakes in the anatomy.

Adding in a gun and a bandana to see how they looked.
I then began adding lighter features to define him.

I started painting the shape of the gorilla, so that I could make sure everything was in proportion.
For this week, we where ask to come up with a concept piece using the word war. The idea that I came up with was to use the term guerrilla warfare, and literarily paint a gorilla holding a gun as a comical message. Here is the progression for this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment